History & register of the Austin Eight

Click here to edit subtitle

Austin 8 Forum

Forum Home > Technical aspects related to the Austin 8 > Fuel tank sender unit

Dave Matthews

My petrol gauge shows that the fuel tank is full (even when it's not) when the ignition is switched on. My mechanic has investigated and done some checks and concluded that the sender unit is faulty. I am having difficulty in sourcing a replacement. Any idea here I can get one?

Dave Matthews

May 15, 2017 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Antonnick

I have had a look in the catalogue from austin counties with no luck. also some of the Austin 7 sparepart suppliers do not list any sender unit.

Is your mechanic really sure the sender is at fault? A full gauge reading is the classic indication of it earthing at some point. To check though, you have to take it out and do some voltage tests on the bench. It is a very simple unit, even by the standards of the 50s, 60s and 70 s, let alone today.

It may be worth seeing if the sender for an early (positive earth ) morris minor is adaptable i.e. it would fit and you could seal it up afterwards - it would not matter that it was meant for 12V.

May 15, 2017 at 3:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave Matthews

My mechanics spoke to Auto Electrician, of long standing, who advised him how to check it. Looking at a Morris Minor sender unit might be worth looking at. Thanks for the advice.

May 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Des Yates

I had to replace the tank on mine and installed a new unit as the old one was totally corroded.  The one I put in is from Holden and its listed as a 12 V Austin HEaley.  The voltage doesnt matter as its basically a resistor.  It certainly fits and I tested it before I put it in and it did show empty and full at each end of the float travel.

Having said that now its in it reads full all the time so I probalby need to bend the float arm a bit.

It wasnt cheap at £50 plus but it did fit and doesnt leak. 

Des

--

June 4, 2017 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.