History & register of the Austin Eight

Click here to edit subtitle

Austin 8 Forum

Forum Home > Technical aspects related to the Austin 8 > sunken sixlight sunroof

ian redshaw

Hi folks. My '47 sixlight saloon sunroof has dropped along its rear edge. Its dropped about an inch and only opens with a lttle assistance!! Obviously I haven't opened it much since it dropped. Its like its fallen off the guides or similar but fear removing the headlining for a look. Has anyone experienced this and what delights are in store when it comes to taking the headling out to repair it?

Many thanks, Ian.

--

January 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gareth Coy

Today I have been to the workshop with the intention of taking the sunroof out of my 1947 Austin Eight to renovate it as part of my overhaul of the car. I Googled for some information and came across your question and, now that I have removed the sunroof and started working on restoring it, I can give you a few pointers.

Firstly, to remove it there are two screws in the front corners which hold triangular securing plates in place, undo these.

Push the triangular plates outwards (away from the central handle) taking care not to damage the felt padding which helps the sunroof slide. The plates clamp the sunroof onto the ‘track’.

The front of the sunroof should now lift clear of the ‘track’ and can be slid forward and upwards, releasing it from the guiding support which holds the back of the sunroof up.

The Sunroof is locked in place by a rotating round rod which has been curled at its ends, turning the locking handle rotates the rod and the curled ends push down on the sunroof guide, lifting the back of the sunroof up.

The roof lining is tacked behind batons on the front and sides (see the first photos) while the back is ‘crimped’ by a fold in the metal sunroof (just visible in left of last photo). There is a rubber weather seal along the leading edge (top photos). The lining goes in place before the triangular securing plates are inserted and will need slits cut to allow the plates to slide into place when reassembling.

I have photos which have not pasted across with this text.

February 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ian redshaw

Many thanks for the info Gareth, very much appreciated:) Have you posted the pics somewhere else where they can be viewed? Thanks again, Ian.

--

February 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gareth Coy

Ian, I have pictures to go with text but cannot see a way to send them on the site.

February 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gareth Coy

Send me a text on 07789918201 with your email and I will let you have photos

February 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Simon Smith

Hi, please can I resurrect this thread as my 8 has the same problem and I'd welcome any instructions or advice from anyone who has managed to fix it - before I start any dismantling....

March 30, 2016 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PeteinMS
I had the same issue. The fix is relatively easy but you will have to remove the panel. Peel back the liner near each front corner of the panel until you find the little retaining plates. You should be able to feel them through the cloth. In some cases they may be installed over the cloth depending on what a PO might have done. Once the two clips are off, the front can be lifted out and the assy. Pulled all the way out. Be careful as there is a flat bar that runs down the center and acts as a friction stop to hold the roof in one place when the handle is turned. It is also quite dirty and will make a nice mark on your headliner should you miss getting it lined up when reinstalling. (Don't ask how I know this). Once out, you will notice two hooked metal bars protruding from either side at the rear. When reinstalling, these should be folded forwards as you slide the unit in. They were probably the opposite when you pulled it out. If someone forces the panel shut with the handle in the locked position, these flip the wrong way resulting in the rear of the panel refusing to stay up. Some grease on the slide tracks helps prevent reoccurrence.
June 21, 2016 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.